News

     I heard news the other day that filled me with soy--that means sadness and joy, What kind of news could illicit such emotions? I found out that my favorite Christian author has Parkinson's. Why would such bad news fill me with joy? Don't get me wrong. I'd  not wish this disease on anyone. So how can this revelation fill me with soy?

    It's hard for me to explain. I'm not glad that Philip Yancey has PD. But I am comforted by this fact. Let me try to explain. I know lots of people with PD, but I don't really know them. Does that make sense? On the other hand, I feel like I have some connection to Yancey. I feel like I know him through his writings.I take comfort in knowing I have a compatriot journeying with me. In fact, I have covered the same material in my blog  that he touches on in his article.

    I am a writer. Not, certainly on the level of Yancey, but in my own way a writer nonetheless. I have a  fascination with words and am in awe of those who write with panache. They weave their words artistically. causing readers like me to wonder at their ability and skill. Yancey told his news with grace and a style  all his own.

    Maybe that.'s why I find joy in his news. I am not alone. Oftentimes, I feel isolated by my Parkinson's. But Yancey gets it. We covered the same ideas. The same things bugged us. My friends and family are very supportive, but they just don't get me. It's not their fault. They've never had to be on the receiving end like I have. They don't understand the frustrations I deal with daily. But Yancey has experienced it. He knows and that's why I feel such a kinship to him.That's why I was so happy when I read his article. He can help people understand and be a spokesperson for those of us silenced by PD.

    So it's with soy I hear his news. https://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2023/february-web-only/philip-yancey-ct-parkinsons-diagnosis-gift-i-didnt-want.html





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Raise a Hallelujah

The Great Escape

Change