Good-bye

 The Queen is dead. I was shocked when I heard the news. Sure, reports were that physicians were concerned about her health, but she was the Queen. She'd pull through like she'd always done, right? Not this time.

    The monarch may be archaic in the eyes of some, but it always fascinated me. I remember from an early age wishing I could meet the Queen, thinking her almost magical. My interest in Her Majesty was fueled by shows like The Crown which gave her a vulnerability that only endeared her to me. Despite her position, the Queen dealt with issues that we all face, only she was scrutinized under a more powerful microscope. Wayward children and a wandering husband were just a couple of trials she faced. She withstood the criticisms with class, never allowing herself to sink to the levels of her critics.

    I think it was her embodiment of class that I actually admired. Charles becoming king will diminish the office. With the situation with Diana and his mistress, I can't regard him with the same respect I felt for his mother.

     The perception of the monarchy will change when Charles takes over at the helm. He's had years to practice and observe his mum. Let's see what he learned from his mother's tutelage.

    It's a sad day for England, but it's also a sad day for her cousins, the United States. To know the extent of her influence on those cousins, let me quote my niece, Sarah Washburne.

    "Queen Elizabeth II, the singular icon of uniquely British steadfastness,duty, an resolute determination to carry on no matter what, has left this world at last - and left it all the poorer and sadder for the loss."

 

UK Home Office, CC BY 2.0 <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0>, via Wikimedia Commons


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Raise a Hallelujah

The Great Escape

Change