Math Matters

   This week means the beginning of school for some districts, so education is on my mind. One formative aspect from my days as a student had to do with math, and how it actually helped me to become a better English teacher. Math is not my thing. In high school we were tortured after lunch, going downstairs to a room with no windows and a teacher with  no voice. I missed a whole year of math, trying not to succumb to the heaviness of my eyelids which were being lulled into la-la land by Mr. V's intonation.

    In my younger years, I played a lot of games, many of which were math-based. I became good at adding numbers quickly in my head, thanks to games like cribbage. Although math is not my forte, I retain this holdover from my youth. I, basically, have all the math skills I need.

    I never understood why harder, more difficult to understand math classes were foisted on me. I haven't used the basic principles of these classes in forever, if ever. Now don't misunderstand me, math is important. The right kind of math.

    If there is one thing I am proud of accomplishing as a teacher, it's the creation and approval of a new class in my district called Practical Applications of English. It's just that, taking English and teaching students something usable to them. Instead of a literary analysis, they learn to write an incident report. Instead of a research paper, they do a research presentation. Two semesters of the class are offered to take the place of  Sr. Comp and Sr. Lit. These classes aren't for everyone, but there is a definite demographic they appeal to. Why torture a student who already hates English with more of a class make that he/she struggles with?

    The same principle applies to math. There are a good number of students who would take, participate in, and like a Math for the Trades class. You have students who never learned to add? Play games with them that forces them to learn these skills. Take the principles of math and relate them to the world around the students. Show them the practical side of geometry and kids will buy into it.

    I see a lot of changes needed in what is taught. If we want to engage  kids, make the class more engaging. And you accomplish that by making it more practical. 

    Math and English are both pivotal subjects. But let's make them practical. I could go on a rant about this, but I won't. It's probably a good thing I retired. I have more time for the games of my youth. Cribbage, anyone?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Raise a Hallelujah

The Great Escape

Change