Day Brightener

    It doesn't take a lot to show appreciation. Two words. That's it. But those two words can change lives. The two words aren't "almost there" or "nice try" or atta boy/girl."  They hardly take any time to say, yet they seem to take a huge effort. The two words?  Thank you.

    In college a local family took pity on a waif and befriended her. That waif was I. They had me over for plenty of dinners and at the conclusion of the family meal, which was delicious by the way, the patriarch would look at his wife and say, "Pretty good meal, Annie. Keep practicing." Not used to such teasing nuances, this comment initially confused me. I hadn't eaten that well in ages. I was grateful for the invite and the meal. I always expressed my gratitude. It dawned on me one day, that his way of expressing gratitude was teasing her. That was my first encounter with thanking someone without really thanking someone.

    Seriously, I see these missing words as a Covid-like pandemic.The lack of appreciation can run roughshod over people, causing them to lose confidence in themselves and their abilities. Yet a well-placed "thank you" can eradicate these symptoms before they even appear. Think about the last time you mumbled about someone failing to tell you "thank you." Maybe you felt a bit dejected over it or maybe you didn't register a reaction to the lack of thanks--consciously.. But deeo down you can begin to questiin what you did and how you did it and begin on a whole litney of self-doubts,

I look differently upon those who have included those words in their vocabulary. I can't help it, I do. I place great value on appreciation. Those two words were spoken frequently in my classroom. To me they do more than express gratitude, Much more. I have seen the power of these monosyllabic words. Not only do they tell the recipient how much what they did or said was appreciated, but, I believe, there is a measure of respect that is inherent in the words. When I spoke these words to my students, they received the unspoken respect like a gift at Christmas. They felt the respect as they peeled off the wrappings and took ownership of my expression of thanks. It filled them with pride to know I had noticed their effort and appreciated it.

    Two simple words that don't take a lot of effort to say. Spouses or significant others often fail to hear these expressions spoken to them. Although I say these sentiments frequently, I'm sure I miss the mark as well. My husband does a lot, He needs to know I value what he does.

My whole point is to show appreciation. Show that you notice. Show that you care. It doesn't take a lot of  energy to brighten one's day, so go ahead. I dare you. Be a day brightner. Say "Thank you."




   

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Raise a Hallelujah

The Great Escape

Change